When you learn you have type 2 diabetes you start to realize diet is more than a lifestyle choice … it is really the key to controlling the course of your condition. When first diagnosed with diabetes many take a deep breathe for different reasons, one of the reasons being the fact they need to work out a way to normalize their blood sugar levels. Another is they need to work out how they are going to adjust to a different eating plan, one that does not include sugar and desserts.
Years ago, as soon as someone was diagnosed with diabetes, they were sent along to see a registered practicing dietitian for help with a new eating plan. This is not the rule any more. Nevertheless your eating plan can “make or break” you when you have type 2 diabetes.
Here is the basis of a simple meal plan that works for most diabetics, and should include:
- a protein food
- whole grain food
- non-starchy vegetables
- small amount of fat
- a beverage
This is the equivalent of one meal.
1. Protein food is lean beef, turkey, fish, chicken, eggs, or wild meat. Dairy products such as cheese, cottage cheese or fat free yogurt can be included.
2. Wholegrain foods include brown rice, rye bread, whole wheat bread, 7-grain bread, oat bran, or quinoa. This category of food could be substituted with a starchy vegetable such as peas, corn or potatoes
3. Non-starchy vegetables could include tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, okra, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, peppers, zucchini and radishes.
4. Fruit means one serving only of a medium sized apple, pear, peach or nectarine. Or one cup of berries, watermelon, cherries, grapefruit, or orange. One serving also means two fresh figs or ten grapes.
5. A small amount of fat means one teaspoon butter or virgin olive oil.
6. A beverage is tea or coffee. The type of tea you use can be herbal teas including:
- red raspberry, red zinger, green tea, yerba mate, peppermint, chamomile
- spearmint, catnip, or ginseng
- and many of the good-tasting tea blends available in the market place
Using a simple healthy eating plan such as this, as a basis, is one way to commence your way back to eating in a way to break the cycle of obesity and insulin resistance, and to help you maintain a healthy weight. You don’t have to give up tasty meals in order to reverse type 2 diabetes.